Thursday 7 March 2013

Weekly Blog by Philip King, CEO of the ICM - 'Understanding the value of software'

I had an interesting meeting with our friends at Intuit last week, a company probably best known for its Quickbooks range of accounting software. But as well as producing financial software for small businesses, it also provides free small business training through its Financial Fitness workshops programme. It was this latter activity and its support for Start-Up Loans that led to our meeting.
 
I was pretty impressed by the products I saw and by the ways in which different financial activities can be integrated and monitored over a range of mobile devices as well as traditional Pcs, but I was staggered by a statistic they shared with me. I'm well aware of the 'lies, damned lies, and statistics' notion but – even if the detail is over-stated  - it's still incredible. I was told that 66% of businesses with up to 15 employees use no software at all to manage their accounts, either relying on an accountant to periodically pull together numbers from a pile of abstract pieces of paper and records, or simply muddling through with a combination of paper and/or spreadsheets.
 
I've been preparing for a presentation at the Milton Keynes Business Expo 3.0 Exhibition on 8 March where I'm addressing the topic 'Cashflow is King – Ten Top Tips', and this has made me think. Managing a business means knowing its position at any particular point in time. With a diverse range of simple and inexpensive tools available from a host of different suppliers that allow for the production of invoices, recording of expenditure, taking of payments, summarising outstanding debts, and a great deal more besides, you have to ask why any business, however small, would not use something so obvious and instantly available to make its life easier. I clearly knew there'd be a proportion of businesses that manage without any software or specific credit management tools but 66% is a real concern. I think I have just found an eleventh tip…!

No comments:

Post a Comment