Thursday 30 August 2012

Guest blog by Tracy Carter, Executive Assistant to Philip King, Institute of Credit Management


I was happy to accept the invitation to be a guest blogger until I realised that my blog would be following Nigel Fields’, a member of the Institute of Credit Management whose blog included the line “I have the best job in the world in ‘the movie business’ at Twentieth Century Fox”!  How do I follow that?  Well, I also feel that I’m lucky in my role; I work as part of a vibrant, enthusiastic and driven senior management team, for an Institute whose staff and members are completely committed to the work of the Institute and the credit management profession.
 
In addition to my varied executive assistant role, I’m also responsible for driving the Institute’s social media strategy.  I am truly passionate about social media, and particularly the benefits of social media as a communication tool for the ICM; our LinkedIn Group (ICM Credit Community) and Twitter account (@ICMorg) are good examples of how we can share what we’re doing, enter into discussions, and listen to credit management professionals.
 
Over recent months I’ve had the opportunity to speak, share ideas and offer advice to organisations, ICM branches, ICM members, and other professional bodies who are driving social media – the common feeling I’ve encountered is nervousness.  My advice is to ignore the nerves – start as an observer – sign up to LinkedIn and Twitter and watch for a while - you’ll soon discover a new world that you may even want to converse with.
 
Social networking is here to stay, and just like the arrival of email, it’s a communication tool that everyone can utilise – it’s happening with or without you! 
  
If you’d like to read Philip King’s weekly blog and other guest blogs click here or visit our Twitter page http://twitter.com/ICMorg.  You can also follow me on Twitter @TracyCarter.

No comments:

Post a Comment