Thursday 26 July 2012

Weekly Blog by Philip King, CEO of the ICM - 'Watching and learning'

I attended my third Start-Up Loans Company Board Meeting this week, and it was a masterclass.  If you've read James Caan's autobiography, you'll know that he attributes much of his success in the recruitment sector and subsequent businesses to his skill at asking questions, teasing out meaningful responses and, as a result, choosing the right people.

As each director presented an update on what had been achieved in their area of activity since the last board meeting and set out their key challenges, it was fascinating to observe him use questions to unearth underlying themes, and then use further questions to identify the priorities for the month ahead, and commitment to getting them achieved.

It's difficult to pinpoint the specific techniques or words used, hard though I tried since I always like to watch and learn from people I meet.  I guess it's more of an inert talent that just seems to work, and it's amazing to watch in action.

Individuals aside, the progress made in the last 60 days is incredible and the next 60 days are going to be really exciting as Start-Up Loans become available and the scheme fully operational. Watch this space for more details to follow and, in the meantime, I've been reminded of the power of people-watching and learning. I'll keep hoping that some of the positives rub off on me now and again!




To find out more about the Institute of Credit Management visit www.icm.org.uk or follow Twitter Http://www.twitter.com/ICMorg and http://www.twitter.com/philipkingicm

No comments:

Post a Comment