Thursday 18 August 2011

Weekly Blog by Philip King, CEO of the ICM - 'Pride in Professionalism!'




A couple of weeks out of the office and I'm back raring to go. I looked at only a few emails, turned off Twitter and was generally very well behaved - I think even Mrs K was surprised! While I was absent, I gave away my daughter on her wedding day which was as perfect as we could have hoped for, spent a few days in the North West of England, and watched the world going mad. Riots in London and elsewhere, the US economy being downgraded, and a possible European financial meltdown as just a few examples. So back to reality and I've decided not to join in the bigger debates that have been going on while I've been away since all the arguments have already been expressed and in better words than I can use.

I do want to share some thoughts on professionalism though. The Institute of Credit Management (ICM) delivers cash for business by empowering credit professionals working in those businesses to be more effective, and a couple of emails received from ICM members during my holiday reminded me of just how important the credit management role is. Members of the ICM are professionals working in the field of credit management who recognise the importance of what they do and are keen to develop their own knowledge and careers, whether that is through qualifications, training courses, keeping up-to-date through reading Credit Management magazine and ICM Briefings, attending regional networking events, participating in online forums, or engaging in other ways. In short, they are showing pride in being professional by belonging to an organisation that supports them, works for them, and encourages them.

And yet I meet many people working in credit management who, although they recognise the value they add, don't see it as a profession in its own right. Many of us would argue rightly that it is a challenging, rewarding and worthwhile profession, and needs to be seen as such. We have made significant strides in recent years in gaining recognition but we need to do more. The new Continuing Professional Development scheme the ICM is piloting is an example. More important though is getting those of us who do the job to make sure our peers and business colleagues (above and below) understand that we're working in a profession we're proud of and is vital to the sustaining and growth of business and the economy.

If you know someone who's working in credit management and hasn't yet got round to joining the ICM, give them a nudge or send me their details and I'll nudge them. The more members we have, the louder our voice will be and I'm on a mission to raise the volume - let's get all credit professionals to show Pride in Professionalism!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks For Sharing..........
    Nice Small Business Ideas and Tips Shared by you...............
    small business lending

    ReplyDelete