Thursday 17 March 2011

Weekly Blog by Philip King, CEO of the ICM - 'Debate is good, and so is information!'

My blog last week was about Vince Cable's announcement that he was going to remove the need for small businesses to produce audited accounts. At the same time we heard of the plan to increase the threshold for filing full accounts. Those who know me will know how passionate I get about things like this which - in my view - are hugely potentially damaging to business and the economic recovery. The ICM also issued a press release http://bit.ly/fMjfjP on the same subject and I shared my frustrations in a letter to all the broadsheet newspapers and it was published by the Sunday Times, Independent and Guardian.

I've had a surprisingly large number of responses. Many have supported my arguments and agreed with my position; a few have disagreed, primarily on the grounds that audits aren't worth the money they cost, add little value, and are - to all intents and purposes - meaningless. There may be an element of truth in this but it doesn't detract from the argument that looking at - and monitoring the performance of - their own business more carefully can only be a good thing for business owners, and sharing information in a more transparent way has to contribute to the assessment of risk more accurately and effectively. Wherever you sit, I'm glad to have added to, and fuelled, an important debate.

The ICM's new database and website went live last Thursday and we've suffered from the inevitable infrastructure and technical teething issues. It's been a challenging few days, and there are no doubt further challenging days ahead, but watching events unfold in Japan has put into perspective just how unimportant such matters are when compared to disasters on this scale. Our thoughts are with all those affected both directly and indirectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment