Thursday 28 July 2011

Weekly Blog by Philip King, CEO of the ICM - 'Recent days have held mixed emotions - first driven by our government and, secondly, by my family'


Francis Maude announced a few days ago that the Government would name and shame prime contractors who fail to pay suppliers within a 30-day limit. The Prompt Payment Code was established by BIS to encourage best payment practice and by definition expose those whose behaviours might be open to question, and here is a classic opportunity to promote its existence by insisting that suppliers sign up to it. It certainly needs more publicity and this would have built on the work we're doing with BIS; instead an initiative is launched that demonstrates a seemingly lamentable absence of joined-up thinking across government departments.

A day or two later, I attended a stakeholder meeting with the Insolvency Service looking at proposed changes to the rules surrounding pre-pack administrations. Having held a number of forums, the policy team had decided to meet with stakeholders again in smaller groups to inform a 'period of reflection' before deciding on the best way forward for the detailed implementation. I was greatly encouraged by what is a rational and sensible approach that will - I hope - lead to a better outcome than would have resulted from rushing ahead regardless.

On the personal front, I recently attended a family funeral that was both poignant and sad reminding me of the uncertainty of life and the future, and bringing things into perspective. On Saturday, my daughter is getting married and this will surely be a day of pride, happiness and, yes, some tears too I suspect!

After the weekend, I'm off for a few days post-wedding recovery in the North West so I've asked Rob Beddington, the ICM's Director of Commercial Relationships, to share some thoughts with you next week, and I'll be blogging again on 18 August which, coincidentally, is the day of the next ICM Regional Roadshow at Cutlers' Hall in Sheffield. If you're in the area, I hope I'll see you there.

www.icm.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment