Thursday 15 August 2013

Guest blog by Sue Kettle, Director of Membership and Support Services of the ICM - 'Love and Passion? Can this really be credit management?'

As Philip’s guest blogger, I deliberated long and hard on the theme and title of my blog. Would it be appropriate? Will it be taken in the context it’s meant? 
 
It didn’t take me long to feel at ease when I spotted a recent discussion posted on LinkedIn by a fellow colleague entitled ‘I love…’. With a smile and no real surprise I began to read the responses to the post that confirmed my thoughts. “I love the challenge” and “I love making a difference” to quotea couple.
From day one of joining ICM, and for the past 14 years, it has been so apparent from conversations with our members that the passion, commitment and excitement for credit management is boundless.
 
My early career was spent in a variety of industry sectors and I can honestly say the only passion and love I ever saw in those days was from an 11 o’clock diet coke break or an early finish.
 
One story that has always stuck with me, and I won't mention any names, was during my early days in membership when an individual who as applying to become a Member, who was so passionate about his job and his enthusiasm to join the credit community, he felt the need to call me from the bath to tell me he had reduced the companies DSO to 12 days, would this contribute to him achieving recognition as a credit professional?  To this day, he is now a long serving Member, I can't look at him with a straight face!
 
I feel, from my experience, I can honestly say credit professionals love their jobs with a passion and they are a breed that are not precious about their knowledge they have a longing desire to share and help others develop in the same way they have.
 
To all in the credit community let's nurture the professionals of the future to continue this infectious passion.
 
Yes, this really is Credit Management.
 
Sue Kettle
Director of Membership and Support Services

 

No comments:

Post a Comment