Thursday 24 January 2013

Weekly blog by Philip King, CEO of the ICM -'An added perspective'


I wrote in my blog last week about the danger of imposing prescriptive maximum payment terms on UK businesses and mentioned, by way of example, the reported offering by Canon and Nokia of favourable credit terms in their bid to keep Jessops' shops open as a route to market. 

This weekend the press suggested that the music and entertainment industry is falling over itself to keep HMV outlets open with The Sunday Times carrying the headline: "Music giants rush to keep HMV alive". The report ran: "The world's biggest music labels and film studios are assembling a multi-million pound rescue package to prevent HMV from going out of business. Universal Music, Warner Music and Sony are set to cut the price of CDs and DVDs, and give the retailer generous credit terms……."

Thinking on this reminds me of the wider role that credit professionals play in their businesses beyond risk mitigation and cash collection. When I address 'credit' audiences, I frequently remind them of the value they add to their businesses by contributing to, and in many cases even driving, the sales effort and activity. I refer to examples in my own career when I used a variety of tools and tactics (perhaps archaic by today's standards!) available to me at the time ranging from a credit reference agency to identify and pre-approve business customers for a number of mobile phone connections as a way of driving sales, to creative financial packages to allow my employer (a computer manufacturer) to supply product. We had a network of dealers, few of whom were good – on a credit basis – for any supplies on open account terms at all. Escrow accounts, back-to-back deals, end-user guarantees and many more solutions enabled us to ship product that would otherwise have remained unsold in the warehouse.

And this is where credit management comes into its own; where we can demonstrate real value. It is why credit management is such a challenging and rewarding career. In my 34th year as a credit professional I still get a huge kick out of it and even greater pleasure from leading an organisation of which I'm so proud and which remains committed to delivering the vital support our members need to deliver the cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment