Thursday 31 May 2012

Weekly Blog by Philip King, CEO of the ICM - 'A journey of discovery'


In my blog last week I mentioned that I'd seen a really good example of the Government working with the wider business community to deliver growth through tangible and practical support.  I said that sometimes Government has to create an environment in which something can be created and delivered without its direct and ongoing involvement.

I was referring specifically to the launch of the Start-up Loans Company, which many of you will by now have seen in the press.  You may also have learned from our own ICM announcement that I've been invited to join the Start-up Loans Company board.

The Start-up Loans Company is different from any previous Government scheme I have ever seen.  It is not a case of ministers throwing money at a problem just to say that they are doing something – money that is often squandered. This scheme is much more focused, and has a specific purpose.

The Start-up Loans Company is a limited company with an independent board chaired by respected entrepreneur James Caan.  While the funds come from the Government purse, our role as a board is to be responsible for identifying appropriate delivery partners, and for setting the ground rules that they will have to follow. Government is stepping back, letting the board lead the initiative, and giving us the autonomy to be able to drive the scheme forward.

Loans will be at a competitive interest rate, and are likely to average £2,500 (though not a maximum as has mistakenly been reported elsewhere).  They will be repaid over a period of up to five years.  Crucially, the initiative – as Lord Young stressed as the launch event – is not just about the cash; it is also about the support the young entrepreneurs (aged between 18 – 24) will receive from a network of mentors across the country, to help turn their dreams into reality.

The board is also comprised of experts chosen to help the scheme succeed.  Each board member has a particular area of responsibility and will be expected to deliver real tangible results.  It is especially gratifying to see the importance of cashflow and credit management being recognised and getting their rightful place. My brief is to ensure we have the right mechanism, process, procedure and drawdown facilities in place to enable the smooth running, and monitoring, of the issuing and recovery of loans.  The sort of things that credit professionals do every day, but not what you'd necessarily and ordinarily expect to see included in a government initiative.

I can't wait to get started, and I'm going to enjoy working alongside Lord Young, James Caan, Bev James, Julie Meyer, Duncan Cheatle and the other directors.  I believe they are going to teach me more than a thing or two along the way and I know I'm going to get as much out of this journey as I put in.  Seeing youngsters set up their own businesses and take steps towards their dreams is a massive opportunity and I feel privileged to be part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment