Thursday 20 October 2011

Weekly Blog by Philip King, CEO of the ICM - 'Finding common cause...'


I said in my blog last week that I would be meeting a couple of MPs to discuss late payment. Since then, I've met with Debbie Abrahams, Labour MP for Oldham East and Saddleworth and Anne Marie Morris, Conservative MP for Newton Abbot. In addition, I attended the BIS Small Business Economic Forum chaired by Mark Prisk and have been talking to the BIS team about some future activity around late payment. I have also been starting to prepare for a presentation I'm giving to the AFDCC (the French equivalent of the ICM) in Paris next month about the new EU Late Payment Directive. It's fair to say that late payment has certainly been at the forefront of my mind in recent weeks!

Debbie Abrahams and Anne Marie Morris are both articulate and passionate about supporting small businesses and helping to protect them from the impact of late payment. Coming from different sides of the chamber, it is no surprise that their views on what can and should be done differ slightly but they certainly have common objectives. I was encouraged by the fact that both recognised the need for a change of culture across the whole business community, acknowledged that payment terms are part of the wider contractual and commercial negotiations between businesses, agreed that more emphasis should be placed on the positive aspects of prompt payment (see www.promptpaymentcode.org.uk), and endorsed the need for businesses to be educated in the basics of credit management that can help them to assist themselves.

There is work to be done and I will continue our dialogue, exploring various ideas and initiatives. This, together with the imminent BIS activity and the continuing demand for the ICM/BIS Managing Cashflow Guides (of which there have now been over a quarter of a million downloads), gives me grounds for optimism.

I'll return to the EU late payment directive on another occasion but, before then, I suspect I'll be addressing the new - and just published - OFT Debt Collection Guidance which I'll be reading in detail over the next day or three.

No comments:

Post a Comment